Deadline for Temporary Visas for Foreign Professionals Rapidly Approaching

Short Window of Opportunity to File Petitions Beginning April 1 for High Demand Work Visas

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (March, 2016) — Businesses that employ foreign professionals (engineers, computer professionals, teachers, scientists, or any position that requires at least a Bachelor’s degree in a specific field of study), should be advised of an important deadline that is rapidly approaching. On April 1st, all companies in the United States will be able to start filing petitions for H-1B temporary worker visas.  According to Durham Jones & Pinegar immigration attorney Tim Wheelwright, these temporary work visas are in high demand and companies will have only a 7-day window of opportunity to apply.

“The demand for these visas will be very high and all 85,000 visas are likely to be claimed in the first 5 days of the filing period,” said Tim Wheelwright, Shareholder.  With 19 years of experience helping employers and their foreign professionals, Tim Wheelwright, offers his Top 5 Tips for employers to be ready for this important deadline.

#1 Don’t overlook the job description. Prepare and fine tune the job description to make sure it requires no less than a Bachelor’s degree in a specific field of study and that the foreign professional is qualified for the position as described. A detailed and complete job description is essential not only to qualify for an H-1B visa, but also to determine the required salary. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Online Wage Library is a great resource to search for job descriptions and prevailing wage information:

#2 Start early in obtaining translations, credential evaluations, expert opinion letters, and licenses. All supporting documents in a foreign language must be translated into English and have a certificate of translation attached. If the degree is from a foreign university, or if the foreign professional is relying upon a combination of education and experience to qualify for the job, it is a best practice

#3 Start now gathering required information and supporting documents. Gather all of the required information and supporting documentation from your company and the foreign professional. Often documents must be sent from abroad and you will want to have plenty of time to obtain everything that is needed. To obtain an equivalency report from a competent and reputable credential evaluator. In some cases it might even be advisable to obtain an expert opinion letter to help establish that the position qualifies for an H-1B visa or that the foreign professional is qualified. Additionally, if the foreign professional must have a professional license to perform the job, make sure he or she has obtained that license by the time the petition is filed. To avoid unnecessary expedite charges and to have time to address any issues that may arise, seek translations, evaluations, reports, and licenses as early as possible.

#4 Find out what it is going to cost and who is required to pay those costs.

Mr. Wheelwright and his team represent companies of all sizes, not only in Utah, but also throughout the United States. For assistance with H-1B visas or any other temporary or permanent work visas for foreign workers, including help with worksite enforcement issues such as I-9 forms and E-Verify, contact Tim Wheelwright at (801) 413-5000 or [email protected].

Based in Salt Lake City, Durham Jones & Pinegar is a leading law firm with four offices in Utah.