Mr. Burns is an experienced trial lawyer who has represented clients in disputes that include domestic issues, real property disputes, partnership disputes, contract disputes and non-violent criminal defense.
Mr. Burns’ clientele include businesses and individuals who have become involved, or expect to be involved, in legal matters that likely will end in trial. Mr. Burns has significant experience representing individuals in a range of matters, including contract and real property disputes, disputes involving boundary and title issues to real property, divorce, child custody and parent-time, support issues. And guardianship and conservatorships. He has represented businesses and business owners in contract disputes, tort claims, shareholder actions, and contract disputes, all with a focus on resolving issues on his client’s behalf as efficiently and economically as the case will permit.
Mr. Burns also has extensive experience briefing and arguing appellate matters before the Utah Court of Appeals and the Utah Supreme Court. Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Burns was a judicial clerk at the Utah Court of Appeals, clerking for the Honorable William A. Thorne for several years. He has successfully prosecuted appeals and successfully defended appeals for multiple clients over the years.
Mr. Burns graduated from the S.J. Quinney School of Law in 2000 and has both a Bachelor’s of Arts in History and a Bachelor’s of Science in Economics from the University of Utah. He has been admitted to practice in all state and federal court in and state of Utah, and admitted pro hac vice for the purposes of litigating for clients in a wide range of states, including California and Illinois. He has been a member of Durham Jones and Pinegar since October 2007.
- Gilbert Development Corp. v. Wardley Corp., 246 P.3d 121
- Wadsworth Lake Park, LLC v. Spillman Technologies, Inc., 2010 UT App210
- Wilkinson v. Washington City, 230 P.3d 136
- Bryner v. Bryner, 2009 UT App 217
- Peterson & Simpson v. IHC Health Services, Inc., 217 P.3d 716
- Ashton v. Learnframe, Inc.
- Innerlight, Inc. v. Matrix Group, LLC, 214 P.3d 854
- Kunzler v. Kunzler, 190 P.3d 497
- Kenny v. Rich, 186 P.3d 989
- Glew v. Ohio Sav. Bank, 181 P.3d 791
- Sill v. Sill, 164 P.3d 415
- Carsten v. Carsten, 164 P.3d 429
- Carsten v. Carsten, 2006 UT App 275
- Member, Utah Minority Bar Association (2000-2005); Participating Member, UMBA Mentoring Committee; Elected Secretary, Executive Council (2002-2003)
- Named to Utah Business Magazine’s “Legal Elite”
University of Utah, S. J. Quinney College of Law – J.D. (2000)
- Traynor Moot Court Competition (1998-1999)
- Trial Advocacy Competition (1999)
University of Utah – B.A., History; B.S., Economics (1996)
All State and Federal Courts in Utah
- Law Clerk, Honorable William A. Thorne, Utah Court of Appeals