Sarah is a member of the firm’s Intellectual Property Group. She prepares and prosecutes patent applications including those related to chemical arts and medical devices. Sarah also prepares opinions for clients regarding the patentability, validity, and infringement of United States patents. She works on diverse intellectual property litigation issues, including patent infringement, trademark infringement, trade secrets, and copyrights. Sarah has represented clients on both sides of patent infringement suits, including non-practicing entities enforcing patents and defendants accused of patent infringement.
- Represented a Utah-based company threatened with patent infringement in a declaratory-judgment suit. We successfully invalidated four of the patents that were being used to threaten our client on summary judgment. The case was appealed to the Federal Circuit where we won an affirmation of the summary judgment.
- Successfully moved to dismiss a patent infringement claim based on lack of personal jurisdiction, where defendants merely drop-shipped accused products to the forum state.
- Represented a Utah-based company accused of trademark infringement and unfair practices. We filed a petition to cancel the mark that was being used to threaten our client and won the petition for cancellation on summary judgment before the Trademark Trial and Appeals Board.
- Author, New Examination Guidelines from the USPTO on Subject Matter Eligibility: What it Means for the Patentability of Your Inventions,Lexology, July 2015
- Co-Author, Collateral Estoppel of TTAB Ruling and the Race to the Courthouse, Lexology, April 2015
- Co-Author, Forum Shopping in Copyright Cases, Intellectual Property Law Today, March 2014
Brigham Young University, J. Reuben Clark School of Law – J.D (2010)
- Order of the Coif
- Member, BYU Law Review Board
- Lead Notes and Comments Editor, BYU Law Review Board
- J. Reuben Clark Award for Academic Excellence, Integrity and Service
- Highest Grade, Trademark and Copyright Law
- Outstanding Oralist, Utah Giles Rich Moot Court Competition
Brigham Young University – Biochemistry (2007)
- Ida Tanner Hamblin Endowed Scholarship in Chemistry
- Glenda L.M. Harr Undergraduate Research Award
- BYU Spring Research Conference Division Winner 2006
U.S. Patent & Trademark Office