Kimberly Baum’s practice focuses on a variety of litigation and corporate compliance related matters. Ms. Baum is an associate in the firm’s Lehi office.
Ms. Baum has experience in a range of complex commercial and civil litigation matters, including contract enforcement, employment issues, IP infringement, alter ego and fraudulent transfer claims, corporate ownership disputes, construction, family law, appeals, temporary restraining orders/preliminary injunctions, and other related issues. Ms. Baum also works with a variety of businesses in assessing and ensuring compliance with various statutes and regulations for a range of industries, including health care, multi-level marketing, and education.
- In July of 2019, successfully settled a scholarship denial dispute resulting in full reinstatement of funding for a university student.
- In June 2019, successfully assisted in settling an aviation engineering and construction dispute following years of intermittent litigation, involving complex engineering, licensing, fraud and non-performance issues.
- In April 2019, assisted in settling a hotly-contested member dispute relating to a software and website development company. Resolved conflicting operating agreement terms, mismanagement and interference claims and effectuated an equity buyout agreement on favorable terms, avoiding an estimated $100k + litigation cost, unshackling management from baseless claims and permitting the continuation of growing company for the benefit of management and employees.
- In March 2019, successfully settled a large residential fire/flood loss claim against a well-known and national insurance company after preliminary deposition and documentary discovery. Incident to a lengthy mediation, the $225,000 settlement represented a supplemental value in excess of policy limits based on breach of contract, bad faith and related claims.
- In spring and fall of 2018, obtained multiple TROs, Preliminary and/or Permanent Injunctions and damages awards in $150,000 + trademark, trade dress and/or copyright infringement actions in California and Utah.
- In March 2018, assisted in settling an IP infringement action in California federal court to a favorable resolution for a national IP licensing/marketing client and obtained permanent injunction and damages settlement.
- In February 2018, obtained a partial summary judgment against insurance company determining insurance defense obligation for company over pending million-dollar claim, which led to favorable settlement.
- In November 2017, obtained a partial summary judgment barring all counterclaims against principals of a technology licensing and development company in a multi-million dollar matter based on non-compliance with engineering licensing statute.
- Following entry of a TRO in July 2017, obtained an August 2017 permanent injunction preserving confidentiality of intellectual property (i.e., copyrights, trademarks, trade dress, etc.), enforcing non-solicitation/non-competition rights, and protecting customers of a national advertising firm in a day long trial with multiple witnesses and extensive documents.
- In spring 2016, obtained a Preliminary Injunction for a large insurance company precluding defendants from raiding its marketing representatives. Thereafter, concluded a bench trial leading to a favorable settlement.
- In 2013, assisted in obtaining favorable judgment after multi-day bench trial with complex recording priority and secured transaction issues.
- 2013-2019: Assisted in favorably resolving numerous family law cases, including order to show causes, divorces, and petitions to modify.
- C504750P LLC v. Baker, 2017 UT App 36 (affirmed denial of a Motion to Set Aside a Default Judgment based on analysis of constitutional and procedural due process issues relating to service by publication and sufficiency of notice).
- Member, Utah State Bar
- Utah County Chair, Women Lawyers of Utah
University of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law – J.D. (2013)
- Graduated with High Honors
- Leary Scholar
- Article Editor, Utah Law Review (2012-2013)
- West Virginia Energy and Sustainability Moot Court (2013)
Brigham Young University – B.A., History (2010)
- Law Clerk, Utah State Fourth District Court (2013)