Gary R. Thorup is a Shareholder at Durham Jones & Pinegar. For more than thirty-five years, Mr. Thorup’s practice has focused on federal, state and local taxation, administrative law and government affairs.
Mr. Thorup has been a speaker/presenter at numerous local and national tax and government affairs conferences. He has also authored articles related to his practice areas.
He has also served over the years on and chaired numerous practice-related and community service boards, including his current membership on (and Past-chair of) the Executive Board of the National Association of State Bar Tax Sections (NASBTS), an ABA Tax Section liaison organization, and as a member of the Advisory Board for the University of Utah College of Science.
- Thorup, Gary R. (2019, March 25-31). Legislative round-up for the 2019 general session of the Utah Legislature. The Enterprise. p. 7.
- Registered Utah Lobbyist (1982 – present)
- Former Chair and Current Board Member, National Association of State Bar Tax Sections (2007-present)
- Member, Utah Air Travel Commission (2005 – 2007)
- Former Chair and Board Member, Salt Lake County Center for the Arts Advisory Board (1996-2006)
- Former Chair of various Utah Bar Sections:
- Administrative Law Section (1995 – 2011)
- Nonprofit Law Section (2006 – 2007)
- Tax Section (2004 – 2005)
- International Law Section (1998 – 1999)
- Former Chair and Council Member, Sugarhouse Community Council (1986 – 1993)
- Member, Salt Lake City Mayor’s Baseball Advisory Task Force (1992 – 1993)
- Former Co-chair and Member, Property Tax Task Force of the Utah Tax Review Committee (1986 – 1993)
- New York University – LL.M., Tax (1983)
- University of Utah, S. J. Quinney College of Law – J.D. (1980)
- University of Utah – B.A., Political Science, magna cum laude (1977)
United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
United States Tax Court
- Partner, Holme Roberts & Owen LLP (1990 – 2011)
- Associate, Prince Yeates & Geldzahler (1986 – 1989)
- Assistant Utah Attorney General (1981 – 1986) (Chief of Tax Section, 1982 – 1986)