Gary R. Thorup is a Shareholder at Durham Jones & Pinegar. For more than thirty years, Mr. Thorup’s practice has focused on federal, state and local taxation, administrative law and government affairs.
Mr. Thorup is a frequent speaker/presenter at local and national tax-related conferences. He has authored articles and made numerous presentations related to his practice areas.
He has also served on and chaired numerous practice-related and community service boards including his current membership on the Executive Board of the National Association of State Bar Tax Sections, an ABA Tax Section liaison organization, and as a member of advisory boards for the University of Utah’s College of Science.
Gary Thorup recently returned from Washington, DC where he attended the annual tax conference sponsored by the National Association of State Bar Tax Sections (NASBTS). Mr. Thorup is Past-chair of NASBTS and continues to sit on its Executive Board. At the Washington, DC conference, Mr. Thorup arranged for and moderated a session entitled the “Affordable Care Act – Issues and Concerns” and was a presenter at a session entitled “Federal and State ‘Responsible Person’ Liability Determinations”.
- Registered Utah Lobbyist
- Former Chair and Current Board Member, National Association of State Bar Tax Sections (2007-present)
- Member, Utah Air Travel Commission (2005-2007)
- Former Chair and Board Member, Salt Lake County Center for the Arts Advisory Board (1996-2006)
- Former Chair of Utah Bar Sections:
- Administrative Law Section (1995-2011)
- Nonprofit Law Section (2006-2007)
- Tax Section (2004-2005)
- International Law Section (1998-1999)
- Former Chair and Council Member, Sugarhouse Community Council (1986-1993)
- Member, Salt Lake City Mayor’s Baseball Advisory Task Force (1992-1993)
- Former Co-chair and Member, Property Tax Task Force of the Utah Tax Review Committee (1986-1993)
New York University – LL.M., Tax (1983)
University of Utah, S. J. Quinney College of Law – J.D. (1980)
University of Utah – B.A., Political Science, magna cum laude (1977)
United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- Partner, Holme Roberts & Owen LLP