Mr. Thayer is first and foremost a trial lawyer. He has been trying cases to verdict in front of juries and judges since his first year after law school. Mr. Thayer has substantial litigation experience in civil and criminal litigation involving fraud, embezzlement, and complex financial transactions.
He was one of the Plaintiffs’ Class Counsel in an eight million member class action lawsuit against Prudential Insurance Co. in the matter entitled In re: The Prudential Insurance Company of America Sales Practices Litigation, in a federal multi-district case in Newark, NJ.
- Mr. Thayer is currently a Utah Lead Counsel in litigation against numerous opioid manufactures and distributors on behalf of six counties in Utah.
- While Mr. Thayer has been involved in numerous reported cases, the most significant, from a complex litigation stand point, as well as monetary value, was as one of Plaintiffs’ Class Counsel in the In re: The Prudential Insurance Company of America Sales Practices Litigation, in a federal multi-district case in Newark, NJ.
- This case involved Plaintiffs’ Class Counsel bringing a nationwide class action lawsuit against Prudential Life Insurance Company alleging deceptive sales practices affecting over eight million claimants throughout the fifty states and the District of Columbia.
- The class was comprised of Prudential policy holders who were the victims of fraudulent and misleading sales practices employed by Prudential’s sales force.
- The challenged sales practices consisted primarily of churning, vanishing premiums and fraudulent investment plans, and each cause of action was based on fraud or deceptive conduct.
- More than two billion dollars were paid by Prudential to eight million class members through an ADR process set up as part of the settlement of the case.
- Member, Utah State Bar
- Member, California State Bar
- Utah Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member, Durham Jones & Pinegar Board of Directors (2014 – 2020)
- Managing Shareholder, Durham Jones & Pinegar Lehi Office (2014 – 2020)
- Judge Advocate General, Captain 103rd Tactical Fighter Group, East Granby, Connecticut (1988-1992)
- Master of the Bench, A. Sherman Christensen, American Inns of Court, I, (2004-2007)
- Pro Bono Counsel with the International Center for Law and Religion Studies at the J. Reuben Clark Law School at Brigham Young University
Brigham Young University, J. Reuben Clark Law School – J.D. (1984)
Brigham Young University, B.A., Political Science, double minor in English and Philosophy (1981)
Admitted Pro Hac Vice in numerous state courts
United States Military Court of Appeals
- Hill, Johnson & Schmutz, Provo, UT (2001-2013)
- Law Office of Douglas B. Thayer, Hartford, CT (1996-1999)
- Wolfe, Horowitz & Thayer, Partner (1990-1996)
- Schatz, Schatz, Ribicoff & Kotkin, Hartford, CT (1987-1990)
- Robins, Zelle, Larson & Kaplan, Newport Beach, CA, Western Regional Office, (1984-1987)