Bryan’s practice concentrates on civil and appellate litigation, employment law, and real estate development.
Litigation. Bryan represents businesses and individuals in a broad spectrum of litigation matters. He has tried cases throughout the State of Utah and has significant experience defending governmental entities in constitutional, civil rights, employment, and land use matters. He also often defends businesses and professionals in claims involving contract and commercial matters, as well as professional liability and business torts. Bryan is a frequent CLE presenter on litigation-related topics. He currently serves as a member of the Utah Supreme Court’s Advisory Committee on the Rules of Civil Procedure.
Appellate. Bryan has briefed and argued many cases before Utah’s appellate courts. Before entering private practice, he was a judicial clerk at the Utah Court of Appeals. He served for 12 years on the Utah Supreme Court’s Advisory Committee on the Rules of Appellate Procedure and has written and presented on the topic of legal writing and appellate advocacy. Bryan currently writes a blog focused on legal writing and appellate issues, www.utappeals.com. He maintains an AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating in Litigation and Appellate Practice.
Employment Law. Bryan’s employment law practice is devoted to representing private and public employers. His representation includes risk management; defense of wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment, and similar claims; drafting policies, procedures, and employee handbooks; wage and hour issues; and assistance on internal investigations. He was twice named a “Rising Star” in the area of employment law by the Mountain States Super Lawyers’ magazine.
Real Estate and Land Use. Bryan’s real estate practice emphasizes the creation and management of planned communities. His projects have ranged from small residential condominiums to large master planned golf course communities.
- Mike’s Smoke, Cigar & Gifts v. St. George City, 2017 UT App 20, 391 P.3d 1079
- JENCO LC v. Perkins Coie LLP, 2016 UT App 140, 378 P.3d 131
- Cheney v. Hinton Burdick Hall & Spilker, PLLC, 2015 UT App 242, 366 P.3d 1220
- Mike’s Smoke, Cigar & Gifts v. St. George City, 2015 UT App 158, 353 P.3d 626
- Cloud v. Washington City, 295 P.3d 181 (Utah Ct. App. 2012)
- Gilbert Development Corp. v. Wardley Corp., 246 P.3d 131 (Utah Ct. App. 2010)
- Thorpe v. Washington City, 2010 UT App 297, 243 P.3d 500 (Utah Ct. App. 2010)
- Brazzle v. Washington City, 2010 WL 624865 (D. Utah Feb. 19, 2010)
- Wilkinson v. Washington City, 230 P.3d 136 (Utah Ct. App. 2010)
- Fort Pierce Business Park, LC v. Closing Resources, LLC, 2009 UT App 357 (Utah Ct. App. Dec. 3, 2009)
- Stevens v. LaVerkin City, 183 P.3d 1059 (Utah Ct. App. 2008)
- Town of Leeds v. Prisbrey, 179 P.3d 757 (Utah 2008)
- Bilanzich v. Lonetti, 160 P.3d 1041 (Utah 2007)
- Heideman v. Washington City, 155 P.3d 900 (Utah Ct. App. 2007)
- Searle v. Milburn Irrigation Co., 133 P.3d 382 (Utah 2006)
- Zion Factory Stores Holding v. Lawrence, 121 P.3d 53 (Utah Ct. App. 2005)
- Hernandez v. Baker, 104 P.3d 664 (Utah Ct. App. 2004)
- Blackburn v. Washington City, 101 P.3d 391 (Utah Ct. App. 2004)
- Hale v. Beckstead, 74 P.3d 628 (Utah Ct. App. 2003)
- “Avoiding the Morass: Keeping Your Cases Moving Towards Trial,” Utah State Bar Spring Convention (March 2017) (presentation) (panel member)
- “Federal Criminal Law Practice: The Roles of Prosecutor, Defense Counsel, and Judge,” FBA Southern Utah Legal Symposium (May 2016) (panel moderator)
- “Updates to the Utah Rules of Civil Procedure,” Southern Utah Bar Association CLE (December 2015) (presentation)
- “Summary Judgment & Motion Practice 2.0: A User’s Guide to the Upgrades,” Utah State Bar Litigation Section CLE (October 2015) (presentation)
- “Improving Appellate Advocacy: A Panel Discussion,” Utah State Bar Spring Convention (March 2015) (presentation) (panel member)
- “The Anatomy of an Appeal,” Utah Bar Spring Convention (March 2012) (co-presenter)
- “The New Utah Rules of Civil Procedure: Highlights, Lowlights, and Stuff in Between,” Utah State Bar Litigation Section CLE (October 2011)
- “Writing to Persuade,” 24 Utah Bar. J. 10 (March/April 2011)
- “Factoids, Vignettes, and Useless Trivia: A Walk Through Supreme Court History,” Southern Utah Bar Fall CLE (2009) (presentation)
- “Henriod, Dissenting,” 19 Utah Bar J. 26 (May/June 2006)
- “Checklist for Appellate Briefs,” Utah State Bar Mid-Year Convention (2003) (presentation)
- “Burlington Industries, Inc. v. Ellerth and Faragher v. City of Boca Raton: A Clear Rule of Deterrence or an Invitation to Litigate? The Supreme Court Rules on Employer Liability for Supervisory Sexual Harassment.” 52 OKLA. L. REV. 461 (1999)
- Member, Utah Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Rules of Civil Procedure (2018-present)
- Member, Utah Supreme Court Ethics & Discipline Committee (2012-2018). Screening Panel Chair (2014-2018). Panel Vice Chair (2013-2014).
- Member, Board of Trustees, Utah Legal Services, Inc. (2014-present).
- Member, Utah Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Rules of Appellate Procedure (2003-2015).
- Board Member, Utah Chapter of the Federal Bar Association (2013-present).
- Member, Executive Committee of the Litigation Section of the Utah State Bar (2002-present).
- Member, 2005 Utah State Bar Spring Convention Committee.
University of Oklahoma, J.D., with distinction (2000)
- Assistant Managing Editor, Oklahoma Law Review
- Board of Editors, American Indian Law Review
- American Jurisprudence Award in Contracts
Westminster College, B.S., Business Management, cum laude (1997)
United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
United States District Court, District of Utah
United States Supreme Court
- Judicial Clerk to the Honorable Judith M. Billings, Utah Court of Appeals (2000–2001)