Ms. Nelson works with employers and other plan sponsors to provide the best benefits in the most tax-advantaged way. Ms. Nelson has helped to resolve issues related to both qualified and non-qualified benefit plans, including 401(k), pension, VEBAs, and ESOPs. She has experience drafting plan documents, representing plans in IRS audits, and advising clients on DOL compliance. This experience with tax-exempt entities and fiduciary compliance makes working with non-profit organizations a natural fit for her practice. Ms. Nelson has worked with multiple non-profit clients to obtain 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) status and draft organizing documents.
Ms. Nelson also assists employers with general employment law compliance and has gained particular expertise in helping clients navigate the emerging area of predictive scheduling.
- Draft parental leave policy for large financial institution to accommodate competing laws spanning multiple jurisdictions.
- Facilitate creation of VEBA Trust and draft wrap plan document to streamline compliance and provide tax benefits for plan sponsor.
- Represent classes of 401(k) and pension plan beneficiaries in suits against Bank of New York Mellon, Citigroup, ConvergEx and SunTrust for breaches of fiduciary duty.
- Assist with drafting ERISA-related appeals and preparing for oral argument in the Second, Third, and Eleventh Circuits.
- ERISA 101; Women Lawyers of Utah
- Utah Coalition Against Sexual Assault, Board of Directors
- Women Lawyers of Utah, Member
- Young Lawyers Division of Utah, Member
Brigham Young University, J. Reuben Clark Law School – Juris Doctor (2012)
- Graduated with Honors
- Dean’s List
- Law Review, Associate Editor
- Education Law Journal, Associate Editor
- Moot Court Team, President
Utah State University – Bachelor of Science in Journalism and Communication (2006)
- Graduated with University & Departmental Honors
- Honors Program Research Fellow
- National Dean’s List
- USU Outstanding Graduate in Print Journalism
- Utah Statesman, Editor-in-Chief
- McTigue Law, Washington, DC
- Utah Court of Appeals, Judicial Law Clerk, Hon. Stephen L. Roth
- Utah Court of Appeals, Judicial Law Clerk, Hon. Gregory K. Orme