Brad Cahoon is an environmental lawyer who represents clients throughout the country. He has a record of achieving his clients’ business objectives and using his litigation, administrative, regulatory and government relations skills to protect his clients from arbitrary, capricious and abusive action by federal, state and local governments. His clients have included , land developers, manufacturers, lenders, energy companies, wireless carriers, mining companies, dry cleaners, metal recyclers, waste companies, ski resorts, ranchers, farmers, and chemical companies. He has litigated environmental cases in Utah, New York, Iowa, Indiana, and Idaho. He has handled environmental matters involving complex business transactions in multiple states across the country. His environmental law practice also encompasses water, zoning, oil and gas, mining, and real estate law.
Brad has been listed for multiple consecutive years in The Best Lawyers in America®, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business® and Super Lawyers®. He was named Lawyer of the Year in Environmental Law (2016) and Government Relations (2017, 2020) by Best Lawyers.
He is a past chairman and board member of the American Lung Association of the Southwest Region and State Law Resources, Inc. and past member of the Board of Litigation of Mountain States Legal Foundation.
- “Utah Procurement Case Illustrates Perils in Bid Protests,” Co-Author, Law360 (April 6, 2015)
- “@Geneva – Pathway to Development,” Moderator, CREW Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah (January 20, 2015)
- “Legal Developments and Case Law Affecting Financial Institutions and Business Transactions,” Presenter, Environmental Bankers Ass’n, Charleston, South Carolina (January 12, 2015)
- “Las Vegas Brownfields 101,” Presenter, Legal & Regulatory Framework, Las Vegas, Nevada (May 28, 2014)
- “Not Perfect: Perfecting Security Interests in Water Shares,” Co-Author, Utah Banker (Spring 2014)
- “A New Brownfield Economy – Recognizing the Risks and the Market,” Moderator, 40th Annual ABA Conference on Environmental Law, Salt Lake City, Utah (March 17-19, 2011)
- “Managing Ag-Loan Default Risks Arising from EPA’s CAFO Program,” Presenter, Great Western Bank, Denver, Colorado (September 30, 2010)
- “Water Rights and Municipalities,” Presenter, Utah Land Use Institute (September 29, 2010)
- “Nuclear Energy and Radioactive Waste: A Hot Choice for Utah,” Utah CEO (May 2010)
- “Property under Condemnation and Brownfields: What Real Estate Professionals Need to Know,” Utah Chapter of the Society of Industrial and Office Realtors (February 25, 2009)
- “Blending Innovative Site Cleanup, Risk Assessment, Use of Controls & Emissions Banking,” Environmental Bankers Ass’n, Salt Lake City, Utah (2008)
- “Extreme Makeovers: Risk Reduction Strategies for Redeveloping Mine-Scarred & Other Industrial Lands,” 52 Rocky Mt. Min. L. Inst. 16.01 (2006)
- “Brownfield Redevelopment Solutions: Recovering a Community’s Hidden Assets,” Envision Utah Education Forum (May 31, 2006)
- “Land Recycling: Building the Future on the Foundations of the Past,” Urban Land Institute Spring Council Forum (May 11, 2006)
- “Wetlands Enforcement and Takings Update,” Lorman Education Services (December 2004 and 2005)
- “Legal Issues in Using Institutional Controls to Facilitate Ground Water Remediation,” CLE International (October 28, 2005)
- “Notable Land Use Law Cases 2003-2005,” Utah Land Use Institute, Salt Lake City, Utah (October 5, 2005)
- “EPA’s Proposed Rule for All Appropriate Inquiries,” Salt Lake City (September 15, 2005)
- “The Brownfield Nouveau Riche, More Real Estate Players Will Be Asking, ‘What Can Brown Do For Me?’” Western Real Estate Business (May 2005)
- “Conditions on Development,” Utah Land Use Institute, Salt Lake City, Utah (October 2004)
- “Extreme Makeover: Redeveloping Mine Scarred Land,” Brownfields (2004)
- “Gateway to Revitalization,” St. Louis, Missouri (September 20 2004)
- “Squeezing Green Out of Brownfields,” Utah League of Cities and Towns, Salt Lake City (September 16, 2004)
- “Brownfield Redevelopment,” The Society for Marketing Professional Services, Utah Chapter (May 19, 2004)
- “Tanner Decisions–Shaping Utah Water Law, Utah Water Law & Policy Seminar,” St. George (March 17, 2003)
- “Environmental Representations & Warranties in M&A Agreements,” Utah State Bar, Securities Law Section (June 2001)
- “Wetlands, Waterfowl & the Supremes,” Panelist, Urban Land Institute (February 2001)
- Mountain States Legal Foundation, Board of Litigation (2015-present)
- State Law Resources, Inc., Board of Directors, Past Chairman
- American Bar Association
- Environmental Bankers Association
- Environmental Law Institute
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
- Utah Manufacturers Association
- Utah Mining Association, Legislative & Tax Committee
S.J. Quinney College of Law – University of Utah, J.D. (1991)
Brigham Young University, B.S.
- Recognized as a member of the All- Academic Football Team of the Western Athletic Conference.