Jessica G. Peterson
Salt Lake City
Jessica G. Peterson practices in the firm’s Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights and Litigation Sections. Ms. Peterson represents trustees, debtors, creditors, and other related parties in federal bankruptcy court and related state and federal litigation. Ms. Peterson also represents clients in commercial litigation and estate planning matters.
Ms. Peterson served as a law clerk to the Honorable Christine M. Durham, Chief Justice of the Utah Supreme Court (2008-2009). Prior to clerking, she practiced law at Durham Jones & Pinegar and Berman & Savage, P.C.
University of Utah, S. J. Quinney College of Law – J.D., with honors (2006)
- Editor, Utah Law Review
- Traynor Moot Court Semi-Finalist
University of Utah – M.B.A. (2006)
University of Utah – Honors B.A., Business Administration, magna cum laude (2003)
- Service Learning Scholar
- President, Mortar Board Honor Society
- Law Clerk, Chief Justice Christine M. Durham, Utah Supreme Court (2008–2009)
- Named a Rising Star by Mountain States Super Lawyers and listed in Utah Business Magazine’s “Legal Elite”
- Vice Chair, Recruiting Committee, Durham Jones & Pinegar
- Chair, Women Lawyers Group, Durham Jones & Pinegar
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member, Utah Bankruptcy Lawyers Forum
- Member, International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC)
- Board Member, Amicus, Intermountain HealthCare
- Leadership Committee, And Justice For All
- Board Member, Women Lawyers of Utah
- Board Member, University of Utah Young Alumni Association
- David K. Watkiss Sutherland II American Inns of Court
- Guest lecturer, S. J. Quinney College of Law, Professor James Holbrook’s Perspective Course
- Smart Start Mentoring Program, David Eccles School of Business
- Member, Community Service Committee of the Young Lawyers Division
- “Juking The Stats: The Gaming of Law School Rankings and How to Stop It,” Connecticut Law Review, co-authored with Professor Darren Bush, Fall 2013
- “Special Masters, Receivers, and the Duty to Marshal Evidence,” 19 Utah Bar J. 18 (June 2006)
- “Law Development, Prohibition of Public Funding for Abortion,” 2005 Utah L. Rev. 372
- “An Analysis of Student Involvement, Improving Student Success,” University of Utah 2003
- “Bankruptcy Basics for the Non-Bankruptcy Lawyer,” Utah State Bar Spring Convention, March 15, 2013, St. George, Utah.
- “The Open-Pit Copper Mine: Bringing Value to the Surface—Effectively Trying Contested Matters,” American Bankruptcy Institute Rocky Mountain Bankruptcy Conference, January 24-25, 2013, Denver, Coloarado.
- “Stern v. Marshall: Addressing Jurisdictional Questions in Adversary Proceedings,” United States Trustee’s Office and Panel Trustees, September 24, 2012, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- “Bankruptcy Law & Creditor Rights,” Women Lawyers of Utah, September 11, 2012, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- “Bankruptcy Aspects of Landlord Tenant Law,” Lorman CLE, August 3, 2012, Salt Lake City, Utah.