Wayne D. Swan
Salt Lake City
Mr. Swan is past Chair of the firm’s Business & Finance Section and the Business Immigration Section and helps direct the firm’s legal opinion practice. He represents a number of public companies and practices corporate and securities law, business transactions, M&A and business immigration.
Mr. Swan regularly advises public companies on all aspects of compliance with Securities and Exchange Commission rules and regulations, including SEC-registered debt and equity offerings, review and preparation of periodic reports, proxy statements, and other shareholder communications. He also advises public clients on listing with exchanges and compliance with stock exchange rules and regulations. He is experienced in providing strategic and practical solutions regarding periodic reporting obligations, insider trading compliance, drafting and issuing press releases and interacting with financial analysts.
Mr. Swan is also experienced in private offerings of debt and equity, corporate organization and finance issues, equity compensation plans, restructuring, general business and corporate matters, and representing buyers and sellers in merger and acquisition transactions of all types and sizes, including public company transactions.
Mr. Swan has substantial experience helping United States businesses obtain appropriate visas for foreign personnel. He represents a wide variety of companies and individuals in securing temporary employment authorization pursuant to L-1, H-1B, TN, and E-1/E-2 visas, and represents companies and individuals in processing permanent resident visas (green cards) based upon employment offers, investments in U.S. businesses, and family relationships.
University of Michigan Law School – J.D. (1983)
Brigham Young University – B.A., English, magna cum laude (1980)
All State and Federal Courts in Utah
United States Supreme Court
- Former Partner, Van Cott, Bagley, Cornwall & McCarthy, Salt Lake City, Utah, Corporate & Securities Section (1983-1995)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, Mountain State Super Lawyers, and Utah Business magazine’s “Legal Elite”
- Member, Securities Law Section, Utah State Bar
- Member, Utah Chapter, American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- “Corporate Spin-off Transactions and SEC Compliance,” Utah State Bar Securities Law Section, January 2012
- “Section 4(2): The Law of Private Placements Outside the Reg D Safe Harbor,” Utah State Bar Securities Law Section Lunch Meeting, March 2011
- “Stock and Other Equity Compensation for Distributors of MLM Companies,” Durham, Jones & Pinegar Seminar, Thanksgiving Point, October 2010
- “Sarbanes Oxley for Smaller Public Companies,” Securities Section, Utah State Bar Association, August 2009
- “Rendering Legal Opinions in Financing Transactions,” Securities Section, Utah State Bar Association, August 2008
- “Financing Your Business in Utah – Exemptions from Registration of Securities,” VanCott Forum for Emerging Businesses, April 1995