Melinda H. Birrell
Salt Lake City
Whether I am representing a large corporation in a multi-million dollar defense case or assisting an individual in collecting on a small loan, my goal as a litigator is simple – to achieve the best possible result for my client. I strive to truly listen to client concerns, educate concerning the law and how it affects situations, and ultimately craft a solution that is cost effective and well-tailored to client needs.
As a litigator, I enjoy the diversity of subject matter my practice affords and have been involved in cases spanning many areas of civil litigation, from defamation
to trademark infringement, water rights to will contests.
My practice focuses largely on real property disputes, breach of contract cases, employment actions, and adversary proceedings in bankruptcy. Cases include quiet title actions, boundary disputes, employment cases, including discrimination, breach of restrictive covenants, and theft of trade secrets, contract issues, including collection work, and bankruptcy litigation, specifically fraudulent transfer and preferential transfer claims.
In addition, I frequently represent Chapter 7 bankruptcy trustees in the process of asset analysis and recovery, which involves the type of investigative work that I particularly enjoy. I also assist with real property development work, particularly the planning and zoning stages, as well as with property foreclosures and commercial evictions.
No matter the case, or the representation, I endeavor to be a committed advocatefor my clients, working in the best interest of each client to achieve afavorable outcome in the most efficient and effective way possible. And while I prefer to solve problems and come to resolutions quickly, and long before trial is necessary, I am equally prepared to assist clients through all levels of the litigation process.
Melinda Birrell is an associate in the firm’s Salt Lake City office. Her litigation practice focuses primarily on the areas of real property, contract law, employment, and bankruptcy. She is also involved in the Real Estate Section of the firm, working mainly with lending and development, and with the Bankruptcy Section of the firm, representing Chapter 7 trustees.
Melinda Birrell is an associate in the firm’s Salt Lake City office. Her litigation practice focuses primarily on the areas of contract disputes, employment, real property law, and bankruptcy litigation. She is also involved in the Real Estate Section of the firm, working mainly with lending and development, amd with the Bankruptcy Section of the firm, representing bankruptcy trustees.
Brigham Young University, J. Reuben Clark Law School – J.D., cum laude (2008)
- Editor-in-Chief, BYU Education and Law Journal (2007-2008)
- Associate Editor, BYU Law Review (2007-2008)
- Competition Committee, Trial Advocacy Team (2006-2007)
University of Utah – B.A., Political Science; B.S., Mass Communication, magna cum laude (2005)
All State and Federal Courts in Utah
United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
United States District Court, District of Utah
- Legal Extern, Judge Stewart, United States District Court for the District of Utah
- Assistant City Attorney, Washington City
- Board Member, Women Lawyers of Utah
- Board Member, University of Utah Young Alumni Association
- Member, Real Property and Litigation Sections, Utah State Bar
- Listed in Mountain States Super Lawyers as a Rising Star
- “Retail, Office and Restaurant Leases: Key Provisions and Warranties,” National Business Institute Seminar, April 7, 2014, Salt Lake City, Utah
- “Identifying, Classifying, and Locating Easements,” HalfMoon Seminar, October 14, 2016, Salt Lake City, Utah