Julia D. Kyte
Salt Lake City
Julia D. Kyte is a litigator at the Salt Lake City office with a primary practice in health law. Ms. Kyte has successfully represented physicians and health care providers or entities (including psychologists, psychiatrists, certified physician assistants, nurses, social workers, counselors, and medical spas) in: licensing matters involving the Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (“DOPL”); medical malpractice or negligence cases in both Federal and State Court; and privileging matters at numerous hospitals across the State of Utah. In addition, Ms. Kyte has assisted with health care contract reviews, insurance paneling, appeals, and credentialing matters. She also has represented a broad range of licensed professionals before the Department of Commerce, in addition to acting as a Patient Care Ombudsman pursuant to appointment by the Bankruptcy Court.
In the area of general civil litigation, Ms. Kyte has appeared on behalf of clients in complex cases arising out of personal injury and professional liability matters. Ms. Kyte has represented individuals as well as nursing homes, mental health care facilities, hospitals, retail stores, escrow agents, solid waste collection entities, lawyers, and judges.
Ms. Kyte also has significant experience regarding the defense of law enforcement personnel and governmental entities. As lead or second chair trial counsel, Ms. Kyte has obtained unanimous jury verdicts in favor of law enforcement officers. Ms. Kyte has also submitted briefs to the Utah State and Appellate Courts, in addition to the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals, that have resulted in favorable outcomes for the governmental persons or entities involved.
Ms. Kyte is licensed to practice in both the State of Utah and Washington. Ms. Kyte is rated by her fellow attorneys as “AV Preeminent,” on Martindale-Hubbell, which is the highest rating awarded to attorneys for professional competence and ethics. She has been listed as a Mountain States Super Lawyers/Rising Star in 2014 and 2015. Ms. Kyte also received from the Utah State Bar an Outstanding Mentor Award in 2017.
National and Local Recognition
- Rated by her fellow attorneys as “AV Preeminent,” the highest rating given, on Martindale-Hubbell – 2013
- Listed as a Mountain States Super Lawyers/Rising Star for 2014 and 2015
- Outstanding Mentor Award, Utah State Bar – 2017
Ms. Kyte is a co-owner of a CrossFit box in West Jordan. She enjoys spending time with her family.
Gonzaga University School of Law, Spokane, Washington, Juris Doctor – 2005
- Second place at the Gillespie Trial Advocacy Competition – 2004
- Recipient of the CALI Award for Excellence in Litigation and Dispute Resolution – 2005
North Park University, Chicago, Illinois, Bachelor of Arts, with honors – 2001
- Recipient of the President’s Scholarship for Academic Excellence – 1997
- Recipient of an All-American Academic Nomination – 2000
- Co-Captain and an All-Conference CCIW basketball player – 2000/2001
Eastern District Court, District of Washington
Western District Court, District of Washington
- Chairman, Health Law Section, Utah State Bar – 2016-2017
- “Avoiding the Labels: Distressed, Disruptive, or Angry Physician”, Utah Physician (June – July 2017)
- Prescribing And Regulatory Compliance: How To Help Keep Physicians Out of Legal Trouble, Association for Utah Community Health: Annual Primary Care Conference, Salt Lake City – 2014
- Prescribing And Regulatory Compliance: How To Help Physicians Stay Out of Legal Trouble, Utah State Bar – 2014
- How To Assist Physicians in Navigating A Hospital Privileging and DOPL Licensing Hearing – From All Sides of the Fence, Utah State Bar – 2015
- What ALJs Do That Drives Practitioners Nuts, 2nd Annual ALJ, Government & Admin. Law Conference, Utah State Bar – 2015
- Health Law for the Non Health Law Attorney, Fall Forum – 2015
- Attorney Panel: Doctor Criminal Cases in Utah, Ogden Surgical Medical Society – 2016