Bryan J. Pattison
Bryan’s practice concentrates primarily on civil and appellate litigation, employment law, and real estate development.
Litigation. Bryan represents businesses and individuals in a broad spectrum of matters. His litigation practice primarily consists of defense work. He has significant experience defending governmental entities in constitutional, civil rights, employment, and land use matters. Bryan also regularly defends businesses and professionals against claims involving breach of contract, professional liability, and business torts. He is a frequent CLE presenter on litigation-related topics.
Appellate. Bryan has briefed and argued numerous cases before Utah’s appellate courts. He is frequently retained to handle the appeal in cases handled at the trial level by other attorneys, both in and outside the firm. He has written and presented on the topic of persuasive legal writing and appellate advocacy and served for 12 years on the Utah Supreme Court’s Advisory Committee on Rules of Appellate Procedure. Before entering private practice, Bryan was a judicial clerk at the Utah Court of Appeals. He maintains an AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating in the areas of Litigation and Appellate Practice.
Employment Law. Bryan’s employment law practice is primarily devoted to representing public and private employers. His representation includes drafting policies, procedures, and employee handbooks; risk management; defense of wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment, and similar claims; wage and hour issues; and assistance on internal investigations. He was twice named a “Rising Star” in the area of employment law by the Mountain States Super Lawyers’ magazine.
Real Estate and Land Use. Bryan has significant experience handling land use and zoning issues for both governmental and private interests. His emphasis is the creation and management of planned communities. His projects have ranged from small residential condominiums to large master planned golf course communities.
University of Oklahoma – J.D., with distinction (2000)
- Assistant Managing Editor, Oklahoma Law Review
- Board of Editors, American Indian Law Review
- American Jurisprudence Award in Contracts
Westminster College – B.S., Business Management, cum laude (1997)
United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
United States District Court, District of Utah
United States Supreme Court
- Judicial Clerk to the Honorable Judith M. Billings, Utah Court of Appeals (2000–2001)
- Member, Ethics & Discipline Committee of the Utah Supreme Court (2012-present). Screening Panel Chair (2014-present); Panel Vice Chair (2013-2014)
- Member, Utah Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Rules of Appellate Procedure (2003-2015)
- Member, Executive Committee, Litigation Section, Utah State Bar (2002-present)
- Member, Utah State Bar Spring Convention Committee (2005)
- Member, Defense Research Institute
- Member, Supreme Court Historical Society
- “Writing to Persuade,” 24 Utah Bar. J. 10 (March/April 2011)
- “Henriod, Dissenting,” 19 Utah Bar J. 26 (May/June 2006)
- “Burlington Industries, Inc. v. Ellerth and Faragher v. City of Boca Raton: A Clear Rule of Deterrence or an Invitation to Litigate? The Supreme Court Rules on Employer Liability for Supervisory Sexual Harassment,” 52 Okla. L. Rev. 461 (1999)
- Updates to the Utah Rules of Civil Procedure, Southern Utah Bar Association (December 2015) (invited speaker)
- “Summary Judgment & Motion Practice 2.0: A User’s Guide to the Upgrades,” Utah State Bar Litigation Section CLE (October 2015) (invited speaker)
- “Improving Appellate Advocacy – A Panel Discussion,” Utah State Bar Spring Convention (March 2015) (invited speaker).
- “The Anatomy of an Appeal,” Utah Bar Spring Convention (March 2012) (invited speaker)
- “The New Utah Rules of Civil Procedure: Highlights, Lowlights, and Stuff in Between,” Utah State Bar Litigation Section CLE (October 2011) (invited speaker)
- “Factoids, Vignettes, and Useless Trivia: A Walk Through Supreme Court History,” Southern Utah Bar Fall CLE (2009) (invited speaker)
- “Checklist for Appellate Briefs,” Utah State Bar Mid-Year Convention (2003) (invited speaker
- JENCO LC v. Perkins Coie LLP, 2016 UT App 140
- Cheney v. Hinton Burdick Hall & Spilker, PLLC, 2015 UT App 242
- Mike’s Smoke, Cigar & Gifts v. St. George City, 2015 UT App 158
- Cloud v. Washington City, 295 P.3d 181 (Utah Ct. App. 2012)
- Gilbert Development Corp. v. Wardley Corp., 246 P.3d 131 (Utah Ct. App. 2010)
- Thorpe v. Washington City, 243 P.3d 500 (Utah Ct. App. 2010)
- Wilkinson v. Washington City, 230 P.3d 136 (Utah Ct. App. 2010)
- Fort Pierce Business Park, LC v. Closing Resources, LLC, 2009 UT App 357 (Utah Ct. App. Dec. 3, 2009).
- Stevens v. LaVerkin City, 183 P.3d 1059 (Utah Ct. App. 2008)
- Town of Leeds v. Prisbrey, 179 P.3d 757 (Utah 2008)
- Bilanzich v. Lonetti, 160 P.3d 1041 (Utah 2007)
- Heideman v. Washington City, 155 P.3d 900 (Utah Ct. App. 2007)
- Searle v. Milburn Irrigation Co., 133 P.3d 382 (Utah 2006)
- Zion Factory Stores Holding v. Lawrence, 121 P.3d 53 (Utah Ct. App. 2005)
- Hernandez v. Baker, 104 P.3d 664 (Utah Ct. App. 2004)
- Blackburn v. Washington City, 101 P.3d 391 (Utah Ct. App. 2004)
- Hale v. Beckstead, 74 P.3d 628 (Utah Ct. App. 2003)